Tuesday, April 5, 2011

We are Generation RX

I recently read an article that described my generation (I am 19) as Generation RX. The reason being that we are the first generation being raised on and experimenting with manufactured drugs such as painkillers, amphetamines, and other substances.

But can we be blamed? The media constantly bombards us with advertisements for pharmaceuticals to treat any number of "illnesses." And doctors are "identifying" and "diagnosing" more mental and physical illnesses than ever. It seems that the only solution many psychiatrists even offer is a prescription. I may seem to be extremely one-sided on the subject, but with so many friends of mine, and friends of friends, becoming addicted to medications they were once prescribed by a doctor.

I'm not exactly sure of the specific goal or purpose of this blog. I'm not even sure exactly what I can accomplish with just a blog. But I hope to, at the very least, provide some information to others and help steer them away from treating themselves with drugs. At most, I hope this blog will incite conversation, debate, and action on what I consider to be our over-medicated country.

No comments:

Post a Comment